--One of my colleagues at Spartanburg Methodist College has been bringing in watermelon from her garden, which seems miraculous to me. I've never been able to grow the larger, slower produce: winter gourds/squash or melons. I've been feasting on melons that someone else has cut up for me--a real treat.
--I was asked to be part of the search committee to find a new, full-time Speech hire. I said yes, and I have no regrets: as our provost said, it's one of the more important tasks that a college does. But it will take a lot of time, and just thinking about it makes me tired (in a good way, but still tired).
--I am part of a student's Capstone project, and yesterday was her first event with me as a guest speaker.
It went really well. It was a small group, but they were attentive. I decided to talk about blocks and distractions that might keep us from writing and some techniques for dealing with those. It was nothing earthshattering: write in smaller increments--10 minutes a day can lead to having 150 to 300 pages in the course of a year.
--I love this broader view picture, the Inkspire event among many other events:
I love being part of a college that has so many events happening.
--Yesterday was a pizza party for Humanities majors, and we got good turnout. Delightful! But also tiring.
--In the midst of all of these events yesterday, I was sad to hear about the death of Annie Dillard. She was not one of my writing/reading touchstones. I remember a college summer of commuting when I read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, which I had heard so much about--but I was underwhelmed. I felt the same way about all of her work, and I feel weird about that, with so many people whom I respect having a different experience.
--It's the time of the school year when I feel like it's getting harder to stay ahead, especially with copying. In part, it's because I have a lot of competing ideas for my creative writing classes, and all of them seem worthwhile.
When I want to remember why I tend to do the same thing semester after semester in English 101, it's so that I can devote creative energy to other classes.
--The work on the fixer-upper house has felt more intense. Last Thursday we rented a floor sander, and now the big spaces are done. Now we need to get the insides of the closets and the edges near the baseboards. We're renting a different kind of sander today--here's hoping it makes it easier.


2 comments:
I feel similarly about Dillard. Her writing didn't really connect with me. I appreciate all the tributes I've been reading.
I'm with you on Dillard. Then again, I often find Thoreau rather full of himself too, so there's that. But it's always weird seeing what nature books break through. Great writers like Loren Eisley and Edwin Way Teale are largely forgotten now, and most people know Rachel Carson only from Silent Spring...
Post a Comment