Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Pumpkin Patch Anniversary

Yesterday was a lovely day to go to apple orchards and pumpkin patches.  I did look for the farm I didn't buy, the farm on the way to the orchard, which I blogged about in this post yesterday.  The house no longer exists, and I'm almost sure that the property has been transformed into a housing development called--wait for it--The Orchards.

I bought 3 types of apples, and I'll report on the writing assignment tomorrow.  I had a vision of buying Pink Ladies, in honor of my grandmother, and because they are so different from grocery store apples.  Similarly, there's a variety called Ginger Goldens which sounds like the Grimes Goldens that my mother-in-law always spoke of wistfully.  But those weren't in yet.  I bought Granny Smith, Ambrosia, and Ludacrisp.

I decided to pop over to the pumpkin patch next door.  They have so much more than pumpkins, both the kind you pick yourself from a giant garden where they grow in the ground (unlike pumpkin patches at a church) or already picked pumpkins, a wide variety.  They also have garden produce, some grown nearby, some not.  There's a refrigerator case with products from a local dairy (or creamery, if you want a prettier name) and with meat raised locally.  They carry all sorts of products in jars:  jams, jellies, all sorts of pickled things.  The stores also has all kinds of gift shop things, like figurines and wall decorations along with some sweatshirts, t-shirts, and hats.

I bought some Cherokee Purple tomatoes at an end of season sale.  I bought 2 pumpkins for the seasonal display I always create at our mailbox.  And I got a free hot apple cider.  The pumpkin patch was celebrating its 7th anniversary, along with the beginning of autumn, and they offered all customers a choice of a free hot apple cider or a free apple slushie. 

As I drove home, I thought about that pumpkin patch that opened in 2019--they survived Covid and the ravages of the remnants of Hurricane Helene that closed the main road for months, along with smaller flooded road incidents.  I thought that I should be the one giving them a cider or a slushie for their dogged endurance.

That hot apple cider was so delicious.  I wound my way home, across back roads that still aren't completely repaired--I know, because I had to go an alternate way because of repairs.  Once I would have had to pull over to have my phone guide me.  Yesterday I was fairly sure I knew where I was going--and I was right.

Here's to 7 more years, pumpkin patch--and 7 more years after that!

No comments: