Friday, April 3, 2009

Links to National Poetry Month Inspirations

My writing time today is short, so I thought I'd point out some interesting postings on other sites that have been inspired by National Poetry Month:

--a New York Times article gives 30 ideas for how to celebrate. Some are writing prompts, some require collages, some sound like the really cool writing ideas that you always wished your high school English teachers would develop. In fact, this page has ideas that could be used in a variety of writing classes, and it looks like it's part of a larger site with lots of resources for teachers of all kinds. I discovered this site through Rachel Dacus' blogsite which already has several National Poetry Month postings, including a daily give-away of her chapbook.

--Kelli Russell Agodon has some interesting musings on writing a poem a day and the lessons we can learn for our poetry writing the rest of the year. Go here to read.

--Jeannine Hall Gailey is writing a poem a day using the periodic table for inspiration. Each day brings a poem based on a different element--but she's only leaving the poem posted on her blog for a brief time each day.

--January O'Neil always has interesting reading on her blog, and she's posting even more frequently during April.

--On Ron Slate's website, 24 poets make recommendations, a practice which always intrigues me. Go here to read. I wouldn't have found this site without Sandra Beasley's blogsite.

3 comments:

Serena said...

Thanks for the inspirational links!

Rachel Dacus said...

Kristin, This is a good collection of links and ideas, thanks for it. I can't believe Jeannine is using the periodic table. How utterly original.

Kristin Berkey-Abbott said...

I'm always happy to share, especially when it might lead to better poems in the world, more people reading those poems. Thanks for stopping by!

Throughout the day, I find myself thinking about Jeannine's poetry experiment with the periodic table--makes me wonder how many other organizational charts we're overlooking as poem inspirations.