Friday, January 13, 2017

Friday Fragments

It's been a long week, work days that have lasted 11 hours.  I am exhausted this morning, but it's a good way.  Let me capture some fragments:

--My campus is in good shape with our Winter 2017 start--very good shape.  I don't know all the specifics, because nobody wants to jinx it.  But it's nice to know that we're waiting to hear details of a good surprise, not the dreadful news that my last school would always deliver near the end of the first week.

--I saw the release of statistics that come out in conjunction with the Gainful Employment law.  That's the law that looks at the ratio of student debt to their earnings the first year, and programs that don't come into a certain range get a failing grade.  My old school is not in good shape.  My new school is not on the list.

--Last night, when celebrating the 50th birthday of a friend, we discovered a cool place that was new to us, even though it's been in existence for over a decade.  It's an Irish place that had good beer, and last night, live Irish music--the good kind, not the annoying kind.  It was decorated with all sorts of old books and old tools and old pottery.  It had several different areas, all of them cozy.  I'd go back to The Field Irish Pub and Eatery.

--Even though this week has been the first 5 day work week in awhile, it's been good to get back in the swing of things.  My short story about the corporate woman who may be coming to shut down the school which is the thread that ties together my collection of linked stories--it's going very well, with delightful discoveries.  My online class has not swung into high gear.  I've been getting myself to spin class.  I've gone for walks.  I've eaten more vegetables.  Yes, it's back to post-holiday life.

--But I still miss those twinkly lights.

--This week-end we have plans to go see Hidden Figures.  We will go tomorrow at 11, so as to get the cheap tickets--saves us over $5 a ticket.  It has been a long time since I felt so excited about seeing a movie.  My spouse also wants to see it--he's the one that put it on our radar screens.  That's rare, which also feeds my enthusiasm.

Here's hoping we all have a Friday the 13th that only has good luck.

No comments: