Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Hearts and Sweets and Other Inner Organs for Valentine's Day

--If you were hoping for a serious post for Valentine's Day, head on over to my theology blog, where I have posted a piece I wrote for Living Lutheran a few years ago.  It now has a different title:  "What the Monks Can Teach Us About Romantic Love."

--I have cookies in the oven (butterscotch bars!) in the oven, but not because it's Valentine's Day.  The faculty sponsor for the student Vet Tech association asked if I would make some for their bake sale because they were so delicious when I brought them for our faculty development/meeting day.  Of course I said yes.

--It's the easiest cookie recipe ever, so it's easy to say yes.  If you need a quick, sweet treat for today (or any day), I posted the recipe in this blog piece

--I needed to get some information yesterday to be able to quickly write a piece for our college newsletter-type publication, so I went into a classroom--students were dissecting hearts, so I got a quick refresher on how the heart works.  I almost wanted to don gloves myself and stick my finger in an aorta.  I love the heart as a metaphor for love--it's such a sturdy organ.

--Or maybe the liver would be a better metaphor:  it can regenerate itself, after all.  It detoxifies. 

--The other organs and inner parts of the torso seem more problematic--I'm thinking of the stomach and the colon. 

--Kidneys have potential as a symbol of love too--the fact that one can be functioning on less than full capacity, but the detoxing job gets done.  Or is that image problematic too?

--If the liver had become the central metaphor, the way the heart has, how would it be depicted?  I'm thinking of all those paper hearts and homemade Valentine's which look nothing like the real heart.

--Suddenly, I'm wishing I had some red construction paper and paper doilies.  I used to make Valentines with windows that had hearts that sprung out of them.

--At the 2016 Create in Me retreat, I made a different sort of Valentine:

No comments: