Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy Vernal Equinox!

Today is the Vernal Equinox, the first day of Spring.  I realize that most of the country has been having an extended Spring--not much winter to be found.  We could worry about drought and coming hot temperatures, but for today, let's just enjoy a temperate morning with some images of spring.


Butterflies are a classic Spring image.  You'd think I'd have more images of Easter eggs, but I don't.  So, butterflies it will be.  Above you'll see part of my church's ever-more-beautiful butterfly garden.


Above, a butterfly in western Georgia a few weeks ago who seemed to enjoy being photographed.  Below, a butterfly mosaic that was a community art project at Lutheridge in 2005 or 2006.



Soon I'll post more pictures from the Quilt Show by the Sea, but for today, enjoy this particularly spring-like square below.


Of course, flowers are traditional Spring images too:


Below, another square from the Quilt Show by the Sea.  A basket of flowers for your first day of Spring!



Below is a detail of a different basket of flowers, but the same quilt.  Note the woven basket, the braided bottom of the basket.



Real flowers are the best (except that they droop and wilt and decay)--may you have multiple bouquets which stay fresh days longer than you'd expect!


I'm always amazed at how Spring weather down here feels similar to the other cities where I've lived.  No matter what kind of winter weather we've been having, I feel happiness as the mornings get warmer, as the light lingers longer.  The air feels a bit softer, even if we haven't been getting much rain.  I feel myself inhaling more deeply and turning my face to the sky.  In a month, I won't be doing that; I'll be remembering that I forgot to put on sunscreen, and I'll try to shade my face.

But for today, I'll welcome the sun back home.

No comments: