Saturday, February 10, 2018

Ash, Dust, Mold, Bagels

It's been a strange morning--I went to Dandee Donuts, which opens at 5 a.m.  Later today, we're going to the house of friends so that my spouse can help saw pallets into pieces.  I suggested that we meet earlier in the day and instead of dinner together, which has become our norm, we have brunch.

Thus, the trip to Dandee Donuts.  I'm bringing bagels to brunch to go with the salmon which my spouse grilled last night.  I had planned to buy a donut (or 2 or 3) for my pre-brunch breakfast.  To my surprise, my favorite flavors of donuts hadn't been made yet, at 5:15 a.m., when I got to the store.

I said, "Well, you've preserved me from my worst impulses."  Happily they had a full array of bagels, so we're ready for brunch.

I zipped over to Dandee Donuts so early that most of the traffic lights were on flashing mode, which makes for a much easier trip across several city miles that are usually slow and sloggy.  I was surprised to find a crowded parking lot.  I went in to find 2 females at the counter working, and 8 men having breakfast all at separate tables.

I came home and thought about the fact that Ash Wednesday and Valentine's Day comes on the same day this year.  I wiped down some mold and dust.  My parents arrive on Friday, and I'd like the house to be in better shape.  What does it mean that my house in the winter is prone to both mold and dust?  Probably nothing good.  Hopefully our great floor rip up and restoration project will take care of some of that.

I am getting rid of a lot of books, so I need to consolidate book shelves and get rid of the dust left behind.  My spouse jokes that he'll arrive home one day, see all the empty shelves, and say, "I think Kristin has left me."

My morning leaves me feeling like I have a poem beginning or the start of an essay, but it won't be for today.  It's time to shift my various preparations into a higher gear.

No comments: