Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Back to School

Yesterday I got my hair professionally cut for the first time since 2020, cut and highlighted.  The hair stylist also blew it completely dry and straight, which is unusual for me.  I was surprised by how much lighter and bouncier my hair felt when we were done.

As with all activities that I once did pre-Covid but never resumed, it felt a bit odd to be back.  It was a morning appointment, so it wasn't as packed as it could have been.  There was plexiglass around the hair washing stations, which I hope they keep.  The woman next to me coughed, and it was nice not to worry about that.

While I waited for the highlights to sink into my hair, I read Celeste Ng's latest book.  Later, when I finished it, I made this Facebook post:  "If you need a novel that reminds you of the power of words and language, that convinces you that you do believe in the power of words and language, I highly recommend Celeste Ng's latest, "Our Missing Hearts"--it also will remind you of the power of love, the power of perseverance, the reasons why librarians may yet save us all, and how poetry can surprise us. And it's an interesting commentary on modern life, even as it reads like a dystopia, in the time honored tradition of Margaret Atwood and Octavia Butler."

It is an amazing book.  I read it because my mom had checked it out from the library and saved it for me, knowing I would be here and could finish it.  I'm so glad I did.  One of the main characters is a poet, the kind of poet that most people are, having one slim volume of poems published by a very small press, not much in the way of sales--until it all blows up in so many unpredictable ways.

Today I head back to my seminary apartment, where I hope things have not blown up in ways either predictable or unpredictable.  I'm taking a heavy load of classes, so I will spend this whole semester continuing to hope that I can avoid things blowing up.  I want to take these classes while I have the opportunity.  Life has taught me that these chances won't always be here:  faculty leave, courses are scuttled for a variety of reasons, and my life as a student could change (will I live on campus or near by?  Will I have to forgo some classes so that I get requirements done?).

This week has been the one where courses are opening up in Blackboard, and I'm getting the first look at syllabi--I am so thrilled!  The course titles and book lists led me to believe I would be thrilled, and I'm happy that the syllabi continue with the promise.  Although Wesley Theological Seminary is back in session today, I don't have Wednesday classes.  I'll make my way back to my seminary apartment, put things away, get organized, and go for a walk or two.

It is a good life, although it does feel like a sabbatical from "real life," even as it also feels like a preparation time for a different "real life."  I know that I am a lucky woman.

No comments: