Tuesday, April 30, 2024

The Anxiety of Home Repair

I am trying to enjoy some quiet before the construction begins.  I think that today's work includes dismantling the old shower, before we have the new shower ready.  We thought the new shower was ready, and then my spouse took a shower last night, and I noticed water on the floor in the adjoining room.  Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Oh, how I hate plumbing work.  But really, these days, all home repair sets my nerves on edge.  Yesterday, the construction crew was installing doors while my spouse installed plumbing, and I fought off anxiety all day.  I was doing a passable job until the water in the floor in the evening.

I do wonder what it would be like to have a normal response to home repairs and remodeling--instead of thinking of all that could go wrong, what would it be like to visualize best case scenarios?  That will never be me alas.  We've had a lifetime of fixer-uppers, and my capacity to visualize best case scenarios is completely zapped.

Yesterday was not completely stressful.  I polished some poems and wrote a bit more on another poem, the one about Noah's wife buying strawberries.  I got a lot of grading done.  I helped by going to Lowe's and doing a bit of grocery shopping.  I submitted grades for two classes.  I took a walk in the glorious afternoon weather.

One of the most enjoyable things was going up to the camp office to help with a project for summer.  We're gluing popsicle sticks into squares that will frame a drawing the campers will make.  The frames will be fastened together to be a lamp shade.  The group of people from the residential area of Lutheridge (the camp) sat and glued and chatted about a wide range of things.  It's a strange kind of service, but it made me happy.

It's the kind of thing I envisioned doing for so many years when I thought about moving up here.  I'm glad there's still a chance to do it.

No comments: