Saturday, January 3, 2009

Writing Prompt #4 (from Kelli's blog)

This prompt comes from Kelli Russell Agodon's blog. I'm in a lazy mood, and thought I'd end up with one of those strange, food-obsessed poems that come out of my brain occasionally. Instead, I focused on my computer that didn't want to work on the first day of the new year, which I'm trying not to see as a harbinger.

Here's the prompt from Kelli's blog:

Writing Exercise--

New Year's Poem

***Make a list of at least 10 specific items or images that you saw, touched, tasted, or heard on Dec 31st or January 1st. Now write down 4 things that you did either on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

Now write a poem that includes two of the things you did on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day as well as 6 of the items/images from your list.

-------------------------------------------------------------

My list of 10 images included sweet potato chips and bacon wrapped dates, the black screen of death and seeing the earth from an airplane.

My list of activities: sorting mail, flying back to Florida, wrestling with the recalcitrant computer, and sitting around a fire pit.

I wrote a prose poem:

On this first day of the year, the computer gives us a blank stare, the black screen of death. We have eaten ourselves sick with sweet potato chips and bacon wrapped dates, so we stare sullenly at the screen. We wish we could return to the airplane, so many yards above the planet, where we aren't allowed to use personal electronics. We go back to bed, no Internet to distract us.

Is it done? Will it stay in prose poem form? Does it have potential?

I have no idea--but it was fun to play, and it always amazes me that I could start with no ideas (complete blankness, in fact) and a few minutes later, have something bubbling up from my brain.

No comments: