Friday, April 30, 2010

April Ends

Here we are at the end of April. I only made it through 20 days of writing a poem a day. More thoughts on that later, perhaps. I'm trying to feel good about the poems I have that I wouldn't have had if I hadn't been writing a poem a day. I'm trying not to feel bad about how many times I had to resort to haiku. I'm trying to think about the fact that I got some manuscripts in the mail, and that's valuable too, even if I wasn't writing poems this week.

I will likely post my book give away results a bit later than everyone else. I'm away for the week-end and my computer access will likely be limited. But I'll post results on Monday, if I don't post them earlier.

There have been several posts this week that have set me to daydreaming, even during a hectic work week. I thought I'd mention them, in case you're in need of inspiration too.

Susan Rich talks about her book launch party and reading here. It's great stuff, especially if you are new to the world of poetry readings. I'm particularly intrigued with the idea of having party favors that tie in to a poem in the collection. I've spent some time mentally going over the poems in my various manuscripts and wondering what might work. Or maybe I should write something new, with a heavenly component (Susan gave out violet scented chocolate), something so swoon-inducing that people will forget to take pictures.

I also like the idea of giving out a door prize. And I really like the idea of having a few printed poems for people. People want to be able to concentrate on our poems, but many of us do better with some printed words in front of us.

For more pictures and comments, head over here to Kelli's blog. While you're there, you might wander to this post, which has some interesting thoughts on what makes a good poem. It could make a great mini-lesson plan, for those of you who need to teach and find your wells running dry.

Elizabeth Adams has a great post on social networking here. I, too, have a love-hate relationship with all these networks. I've enjoyed being back in touch with old friends and making new ones. But I miss the old-fashioned networking, where people would have a meal together. I read about poets who get together for a day of poetry writing and good food, and I weep with missing some past times of my life, where we all had a Saturday we could devote to quilting and fellowship.

April turned out to be a more hectic month than I anticipated. This past week has been the kind of week where I've been grateful for meetings that included lunch. Once I would have turned my nose up at a sad turkey sandwich. These days, I'm grateful, because I haven't had time to cook a delicious pot of something wonderful to bring to lunch. I find myself snagging the leftover lunches because I know the meeting group has already paid for the food which will likely be thrown away. Yes, my life has come to this.

So, once I get back from my week-end trip, it's time to set some priorities. More home cooking. More vegetables. More face time with friends. I'll settle for online messages and box lunches, but they won't sustain me forever.

No comments: