Sunday, April 4, 2010

NaPoWriMo Day 4

Well, I've written my 4th poem, for day 4 of National Poetry Month. As always, on day 4, it's feeling easy. I'm surrounded by poems just waiting for me to write them down. Poetry ideas swirl in my head. I get up, I add a poem to my morning routine, I marvel at how easy it is. I wonder, why don't I just do this every day?

It's the exact opposite of exercising, at least for me. When I go for a run (yes, I call it a run, even though you would call it a slow jog, or something less charitable), the first fifteen minutes are agony. Every muscle screams, "What the hell do you think you're doing? Stop. STOP. Stop right this minute. I mean it." And then I settle into a rhythm, my creaky body warms up, and I often sail through the rest.

If this NaPoWriMo is like others, I will bog down mid-month. I will begin to feel a bit panicked, a bit like I can't possibly be expected to keep up this pace. I will worry about running out of ideas.

But for now, I'm enjoying the ease. I'm enjoying the fact that I've prioritized.

1 comment:

Sandy Longhorn said...

Woo hoo! I'm in awe of all of you taking up this challenge. So glad the sailing is easy for now.