Monday, January 23, 2012

Jesus and Legos

Have you played with Legos lately?  Gone are the simple squares and rectangles of my youth.  Actually, they are still there, but they've been joined by many other pieces.  When I build things with my nephew, he's completed several structures while I'm still trying to figure out how some of the odder shapes fit together.

I thought of this yesterday in church when our pastor reminded us that Jesus talked about children as the Kingdom of God.  I thought of the complicated Lego structures that children build, and I felt uneasy with this metaphor.

I thought back to my series of poems where Jesus moves about, in a physical body, in our modern world.  I thought about a new poem, Jesus trying to create something with Legos.

I thought of the inspiration that we usually think about people getting in church--it's not likely we think of people coming away inspired to think of Jesus and Legos.  I think of all those atheists who are outraged about church, but who likely haven't gone to church in many decades.  They'd probably be surprised to realize I'm sitting there dreaming of poem ideas, not plotting ways to overtake the government and establish a Christian theocracy.

I can only speak for myself, of course.  But I haven't met many Christians who dream of taking over the government.  Like most of the nation, everyone I know thinks that taking over the government would mean taking on an impossible task.

I'll continue to think about this poem idea, Jesus and children and Legos, and hopefully, by the end of the week, I'll have a chance to write a new poem.  The first part of this week is full of tasks and full schedules, the kind that makes me want to weep.

But at least I have a poem to mull away on now.  That should make it easier to face my daily chore list.

No comments: