Friday, September 4, 2015

Laboring Towards Labor Day

Yesterday was the best kind of accreditor visit day:  I sat in my office, ready to be needed, and for the most part, I wasn't.  At one point, my dean asked me to find the names of the 4 new programs our school will launch soon.  Happily, I knew exactly where to find the information, and that was that.

So, now it is time to turn our attention to Labor Day week-end, the traditional end of the summer.  In terms of weather, much of the country still has plenty of heat to endure.  I will not be putting away my white skirt or my sandals any time soon.

I'd like to use the next two weeks to think about what I'd like to achieve by the end of the year.  I have lost some momentum on my writing, although I did get 4 poetry packets in the mail yesterday.  I need to get more submissions out there, now that September is here.  I want to write more poems.  I want to actually finish a short story or two.

I need to get my eating back to a healthier state.  Perhaps I'll focus on keeping my calorie count down to 1500.  I've got a few pounds I'd like to lose.  I'd like to diversify my exercise--more walks to the beach as it gets cooler in the later months of this year.

In the coming months, I'd like to start thinking of what I'd like to do while I'm still healthy to do it.  A spin class buddy was talking about the Camino de Santiago in Spain--I'd like to do a pilgrimage or two.  I'd like to go to Scotland to visit the Iona community.

But first, let me think about reweaving my frazzled threads of my life.  I feel like the last several weeks of August have been particularly fraying.  Let me regroup.

It's not a traditional Labor Day week-end activity, but Labor Day seems a good time to do it.

No comments: