Sunday, January 10, 2016

All the Ways a Creative Group Inspires

Today, instead of going to church, I will go to be with my quilt group.  My quilt group often inspires unexpected creativity.

For example, last month, our atheist friend had written an amusing piece of fiction in which she imagines she's come to consciousness in purgatory.  At our quilt group, we had a rousing discussion about our different beliefs about what happens when we die.

My atheist friend does not believe in an afterlife.  And yet she wrote a piece about purgatory, which she imagines as a place of endless shoe shopping, which she hates, and having to make small talk with people she despises.

The next morning, I wrote what is probably one of my most favorite things I wrote last year.  My friend wrote from her point of view; I wrote from the point of view of God who was dealing with my friend's wrong perceptions of where she was and what she needed to do next.

She thinks she must earn her way to Heaven.  She doesn't realize that she's already there, but it's her attitudes that hold her back.  It could be worse.  Her attitudes could make her perceive herself as being in Hell.

For more on the theology of it all, and to see a few paragraphs from the piece I wrote, go to this post on my theology blog. 

I need to think about what I want to sew today.  I find it soothing to sew long lines, so I'll probably take some strips of fabric along with some mending.

I hope it is one of those days when we don't get bogged down in talking about school stuff.  I understand the consolation of blowing off steam or puzzling out issues together.

What I'd really like to talk about is some possible alternative futures.  I feel like I've forgotten to dream that way.  I don't want to talk about how we'll limp towards retirement, no matter what the Education Industrial Complex throws our way.  I'd like to talk more about what might bring us joy.

My spouse is coming along--he and the spouse of the atheist will be grilling a brisket for later.

So, we will have sewing, we will have cooking, we will have good food that's already been prepared, we will have good conversation--and with luck, we'll leave inspired!

No comments: