Saturday, October 1, 2016

October Begins

Happy October!  My month of September just zoomed right by.  The other night as I walked up to the table on my front porch, I was struck by the realization that I still had the table set for summer.  If I don't get out the Halloween placemats and napkins soon, my chance will be over.

Part of my problem is that it's still 90+ degrees each day for our daily high temperature.  It still feels like summer.

What will I remember when I think back to September of 2016?  I will remember our trip to Arizona, and all the changes that occurred at my school while I was away.  I will remember this as the month that ACICS was told it could no longer accredit schools--the group has appealed, but I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the appeal will be granted and that ACICS will go back to accrediting.  I foresee all sorts of rippling effects, but of course, I don't know what they are.

But let me focus on happy things.  This was the week that my chapbooks came.  I had a few friends and family members in distant places who got theirs first, but finally mine arrived.  I want to remember my spouse reading a copy from cover to cover.  How wonderful to hear him gasp as the poem ended.  At times, he wiped his eyes. 

It is not the first time this week that I've been reminded of how lucky I am to have a supportive spouse.

And he turned down pages and said, "These are the ones you'll want to do at your readings."

Of course, that presumes that I have readings lined up, which I don't.  The thought of organizing anything just makes me tired.

But that's the joy of a new month, of a new season that's slowly starting.  I have a chance to change focus.  Let us see what develops.

No comments: