Monday, December 18, 2017

Week-end of Cookies

Overall, it was a good week-end.  My spouse got some of his work done for his last class that ends this week, and I got cookies baked for the cookie swap on Wednesday, along with some writing.  We also watched a bit of TV, went to church, listened to Christmas music, had a meal with friends, looked at Christmas lights, and did some chores, like shopping and laundry and spraying herbicide on weeds.

I realize that I'm a boring grown up now as I look at my list of what makes a good week-end.

I didn't plan for this to be a week-end of cookies.  I knew that we'd decorate cookies at church between services:




Most people take full advantage of all the ways that they can decorate the cookies:



Here's another variation:



I don't really like all of this icing, so I ate my gingerbread plain.  Then I came home and made more gingerbread--but as a bar cookie.

I confess that I made gingerbread after first making a new-to-me recipe for basler-lackerli cookies.  I made a version from an online recipe--it has no oil/shortening of any kind and no eggs.  I thought it made the house smell great, but I wasn't sure about it as a cookie to take to a cookie swap.  My spouse, on the other hand, thought it would be perfect because it's so unusual.

And let us not forget, when cataloguing this week-end of cookies, we also made sugar cookies in star and tree shapes on Saturday.  I do like that simple icing that I make out of powdered sugar and milk.

Now to think about the coming week.

Unlike last year, when I had no vacation days to take, this year, I'll take some time off at Christmas.  But first, I have a few days of work this week.  I'll wrap up some of the tasks of the term, and try to think about what's coming in January.

But first, let me head to spin class.  This week-end of baking reminds me that it's the season where it's good to burn calories where I can.

No comments: