Thursday, May 30, 2019

The Sonnet Cycle and the Surrealist Independent Prosecutor

A week that begins with a Monday holiday shouldn't feel this long.  I woke up thinking it was Friday.  So, let me record a few thoughts which might make a longer post later, but probably won't.

--Yesterday's big news was Robert Mueller's press conference (really more of an announcement) to talk about his report and his return to private life.  He said that everything he had to say was in his report, but the language of yesterday led me to believe that he has plenty more to say, but he's not going to say it.

--I have a vision of a person who wrote a sonnet cycle who knows that if he tells you what he really knows he will veer into a surrealistic poem from which he might never make his way back.

--I have seen a copy of the Mueller report, soft-covered.  I know that I will never read it.  My life is too short, and my list of worthy reading too long.  I would like the very short form, in bullet points.  You might see this as an indictment of an attention span shortened by modern life.  You might be right.  But I suspect I would not have read The Pentagon Papers either.

--In other signposts of modern life circa 2019:  last night on my way back from Total Wine, I saw a building under reconstruction.  It had been a place that sold upscale tile, marble, granite and quartz for all your remodeling needs.  Now the building has a sign half the size of its front wall that declares "Cannabis." 

--Florida is not Oregon.  I think that we've passed a law to make it legal to have a few state-sanctioned dispensaries for medically prescribed pot--but the legislature has been tied up in knots about how to make that happen.  As far as I know, there are no permits yet.

--I'm not Googling to get the facts on this law because I'm afraid of what kinds of advertising I'd get after doing that kind of search.

--Once I thought about certain Internet searches because I worried that the government might be keeping track.  Now it's advertisers that I want to avoid.

--I have seen several pot-themed shops being created as I drive through various streets in Broward county.  I am deeply uncomfortable, and I'm intrigued by my discomfort.  I'm already distressed by how many people go through life zombified by their cell phones--and now we'll add pot to the equation?

--Are we self-medicating/self-obliterating because we can't face our lack of resiliance?  I read a great article that argues that our self-help culture gives us false expectations of what self-help culture can do for us.  It concludes this way:  "The science of resilience is clear: The social, political and natural environments in which we live are far more important to our health, fitness, finances and time management than our individual thoughts, feelings or behaviours. When it comes to maintaining well-being and finding success, environments matter. In fact, they may matter just as much, and likely much more, than individual thoughts, feelings or behaviours. A positive attitude may be required to take advantage of opportunities as you find them, but no amount of positive thinking on its own is going to help you survive a natural disaster, a bad workplace or childhood abuse. Change your world first by finding the relationships that nurture you, the opportunities to use your talents and the places where you experience community and governmental support and social justice. Once you have these, your world will help you succeed more than you could ever help yourself."

Let me now go for a walk, a way to feel nurtured before the hectic day begins.

No comments: