Friday, December 13, 2019

Sketching the Feast Day of Santa Lucia

Today is the feast day of Saint Lucia--Saint Lucy's Day, as it may be more commonly known.  I've written a lot about Santa Lucia through the years; this blog piece will give newcomers to this feast day some background.

This morning I saw that one of my online journaling friends had created a sketch, so even though I didn't have much time, I sketched too. 



I like the haiku-like creation more than the sketch:

Early morning dark.
Braid of bread, braid of candles.
Lucy lead us home.

Here is the sketch by artist and pastor Jill Ross that inspired me.  Her Facebook post delighted me too with these words:  "Tomorrow is Santa Lucía Day. Not only does she bring light but also bread and coffee."


Yes, I'd have rather been baking bread and having a leisurely coffee morning, but that's not the Santa Lucia morning I will have this year.  I have been nourished in other ways.

No comments: