Tuesday, August 11, 2020

The Next Online Journaling Class

I am part of another online journaling class offered by Vonda Drees and the Grunewald Guild.  For the next 3 weeks, we're reading Ibram X. Kendi's How to Be an Antiracist.  This past spring and early summer, I felt like I was seeing this book mentioned everywhere, so I was happy to have a chance to read it, and to read it in a group.

So far, it's been hard to know how to approach the book with my usual sketching practice.  The language is not evocative, so far, to my sketching brain.  My intellectual brain, yes.  But how to put this all in a sketch?

I decided to sketch one of the ideas that captured me when I started the book Sunday night. It's near the bottom of p. 17, after he talked about theologian James Cohn. 





Here's the longer quote: "If we don't do the basic work of defining the kind of people we want to be in language that is stable and consistent, we can't work toward stable, consistent goals."

So far, I'm enjoying the book, but it's not as revelatory as I had expected that it would be.  I'm guessing that for someone who hasn't thought much about these issues since college, it might be.  Still, it's good to be reminded, and good to see what some of the nation is reading.

No comments: