Monday, February 22, 2021

Week-end Captured in Facebook Posts

 Let me sum up my week-end in a few Facebook posts:

On Friday night, I wrote:  "Spouse Carl is in the back of the house teaching his Philosophy class online, and I'm in the front bedroom listening to this podcast about the brilliant Octavia Butler and doing a bit of grading for my online class before turning my attention to my apocalyptic novel that I'm writing. When I thought of my ideal of being an academic couple, I didn't think it would look quite like this, but it's close enough."

In fact, I found all kinds of interesting podcasts on Butler, like this one that explores Parable of the Sower, chapter by chapter.  I listened to 3 of them and plan to listen to the rest.

Saturday morning, I wrote:  "Cooler weather at last! I'm eating grits for breakfast, washed down with sweet tea--a pan of biscuits about to go into the oven. Yes, I did spend my formative years in the southeastern states of the U.S."

We ended Saturday by playing Yahtzee on the porch--it was the odd game where we both got multiple yahtzees--and twice I rolled a yahtzee twice in one game.  I wrote:  

"We are playing Yahtzee on the front porch, and spouse Carl and I got the exact same score. I said, "What are the odds of that?" and went inside to fill my mug. When I came back out, Carl had figured out the odds. On paper. With a pen. And no calculator.

Was he correct? I don't know. I don't have those kind of mad math skills."

If I had made a Facebook post yesterday, I might have written about having ice cream for dinner after a lovely late afternoon reading on the porch.

In short, it was a regular week-end in many ways, while at the same time, there was a whiff of melancholy:  the last of the apple cider, the last of the cooler weather that made me think about having a warm beverage.

No comments: