Sunday, October 15, 2023

A Week in Sketching

As I looked at my sketchbook, I was struck by how much visual art I've created in the past week.  I started this sketch on Oct. 3, and I've worked on it 5 minutes a day.  I call it Hydrangea Bloom with Squash Blossom:



It's not the only sketch that has color:



I've also worked with the Zentangle approach to sketching.



I've played with a new media, chalk that is more powdery than a traditional pastel:



I used it to play in an old hymnal.  This was my first attempt.


I went on to try to create a sketch that has something to say about the hymn:


I've got many more sketches, which is unusual for me.  If I posted them all, I'd be posting at least 5 more pages.  I don't usually sketch this much in a week.  Is it the expansiveness that comes from starting a new sketchbook?  The inspiration from being at Convocation?  Needing to be in a chair for long hours in the day, away from my computer?

I am happy to have had this time before needing to turn my attention back to academic writing.  And I'm really happy with the hydrangea sketch!

No comments: