Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Ferry Crossings

I had a fairly easy trip driving to Williamsburg yesterday.  The last hour of the trip is on little back country roads through Virginia, and it's easy to get turned around.  Yesterday there were big trucks and a smaller truck hauling a trailer of 5 cars, and everyone was weaving about.  By the time I remembered that I needed to be on the lookout for the turn, I had missed it.

Happily, I had my phone, and the traffic was a bit calmer, so I was able to get directions to get back on track.  But it was a different track.  Instead of going across the James River on the long bridge, I was headed to the ferry.

I pulled over to call my mom and dad, who thought I would be arriving earlier.  My mom said, "Are you at the ferry now?  If so, you should just take the 1:30 ferry."  

I glanced at the clock:  1:20.  I said, "Let me see what I can do."

I wasn't at the ferry, and I wasn't sure how far away it was.  I drove as quickly as the speed limit would allow, and happily, I just made the 1:30 ferry.

I've ridden the ferry before, so I had some idea what to expect.  As I had driven, I couldn't remember if there was a fee or how we got the cars parked.   I drove my car onto the ferry and parked, as directed, and felt oddly relieved that it worked out.  I was the last person on the ferry, and soon, the boat was taking us across the river.

I decided not to get out of the car.  People around me were staying in their cars, and I felt oddly self-conscious at the thought of getting out of the car.  Plus I was worried I might lock the keys in the car or that the car would choose this time to stop letting me unlock the door.  I just wanted to sit and get myself centered again.

I'd like to say that I spent the time on the ferry thinking about the ways we get across rivers and other obstacles.  I'd like to say that I wrote an amazing poem during my 20 minutes on the ferry.  I did not.  I am happy to say that my car restarted, and I was able to drive off the ferry to meet my parents, who showed me the way home.

Today I am hoping that Colonial Williamsburg still has their decorations up so that we can take a walk on the grounds.  I am hoping that it won't be too cold; it looks like today will be our best chance for warmer temperatures and less wind.  

I am so grateful for easy travel and for a storm that seems to be waiting until Saturday, which will give me time to get home on Friday.  I'm not sure what it means for my Sunday preaching; I'll know more as the forecast track becomes firmer.  For today, I'll live in the moment and enjoy this time together with my mom and dad.


No comments: