Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Life in the Drywall Dust

Another fragmented morning.  Let me collect some fragments and see what mosaic might emerge:

--I sit here in the middle of drywall dust, trying to stay out of the way.  Those of you who have never seen a wall installed likely have no idea of the process.  A wall that is put together well has that inevitable feeling of having always been.  The seams are hidden away, the nails that connect the drywall to the studs blanketed beneath plaster.

--But it's good to see signs of progress.  I try hard not to think about how far we still have to go.  Those home remodel shows make it look so easy:  zip, zip, here's your new house.

--I have spent a lot of time this week feeling planted at a desk, both in a good way and a bad way.  I've gotten a lot done, as I sat at my desk trying to stay out of the way.  But I am feeling like I need to move more.

--Yesterday I stayed planted at my office desk at Spartanburg Methodist College.  I was meeting a friend for early dinner, so I stayed after my last class.

--I have gotten seminary writing done and other tasks too--tis the season for lots of grading.  I also did a bit of shopping.  I have enough clothes for teaching 2 days a week, but in the fall, when I go to five days a week, I needed one or two more sweaters to finish some outfits.  They are cheaper now than they will be in the fall.  If I got my order in before Land's End sold out of them, I should be set.

--Over the past two year, my apocalyptic gal's inner sense perked up at mention of bird flu getting into wild bird populations.  Now it's infected dairy cows.  Happily, there is a vaccine, although I don't think we know how well it works.  And it won't infect humans unless it gets deep in the lungs--that's what's kept it at bay this long.  But still . . . this is the pandemic I've been expecting for almost two decades.  It's not here yet, but it's closer.


No comments: