We are at midterm at Spartanburg Methodist College--which means it's Fall Break today and tomorrow. My spouse and I will have a day of working on different projects: he's putting polyurethane on the sanded hardwood floors in the fixer-upper house in S'burg, and I have various appointments today (dermatologist, hair, Zoom session with one of our onground intensive instructors).
Yesterday my spouse and I went to S'burg in different cars, so I had some time alone at the Arden house. What did I do with my alone time? Cooking and baking, of course. I have a lot of apples which aren't getting fresher, so I made this apple cake; it's a strange recipe, with mashing the apples with a mixer to get the crumbly batter into something that is more like a cake batter. The finished cake is very moist. When I first took it out of the oven, it seemed more like a bread pudding. It's delicious, both iced and un-iced.
I also made dinner with the ingredients I bought on Tuesday for this Smitten Kitchen recipe that uses frozen ravioli and fresh spinach. It's similar to another Smitten Kitchen recipe that includes tomatoes (I use a small can of petite diced), cooking on the top of the stove, with a last-minute broil.
You might think I would do more writing during a time in the house when I knew that the T.V. would stay quiet. I did write a draft of the paper that is due Oct. 5. And while my Nonfiction Writing students worked on their next assignment, I did write a rough draft of my Mary in a Time of Climate Change, poem (see this post for the original inspiration). It went in surprising directions, although I didn't have much of a vision, so the main surprise was having any direction at all.
It reminds me of a similar process a few weeks ago. I had been trying to write about Nancy Drew taking up quilting. I was leafing through A. E. Stallings' Afterlife, her wonderful collection of mostly published poems, and came across "Medea, Homesick." I thought about Nancy Drew, homesick for her youth. And a poem just tumbled out of me.
This morning I've been looking at rough drafts of poems that I've composed in the last 2 months. My goal for Fall Break is to finish one or two. I am delighted to realize that I've written more than I remembered, although some of them are just some lines that may or may not have potential.
Well, let me get ready to go on my walk. I'm eating extra apple cake calories--plus, I want to enjoy autumnal weather before it turns rainy/wintry.
No comments:
Post a Comment