Sunday, March 22, 2009

Getting Ready to Write a Poem A Day--and other ways to celebrate National Poetry Month

Over at her blog, January writes about ways to celebrate National Poetry Month, including writing a poem a day, one poem for each day in April.

I did this for the first time last year, and I found it a remarkable experience. I found myself always on the lookout for poems, and they always came to me, day after day. And I experimented with haiku, since some days, I just didn't have time. And even that experience was powerful--how much I can get done, in how little time.

I tend to think I need hours and hours of uninterrupted time. But really, 15 minutes can be enough. And I can spend my non-writing time doing some prep work: thinking and planning and collecting.

If you get really inspired, Robert Lee Brewer will be publishing an e-book with some of the best poems written and posted during April--you have to sign up to be a participant. Go here for details.

1 comment:

Serena said...

I've seen the PAD challenge. Thanks for the reminder, though.