Saturday, March 6, 2010

More on Poetry Book Trailers

This week, I've been seeing lots of interesting blog posts on making a poetry book trailer. Kelli Russell Agodon posted her book trailer here and then wrote a post on the making of the book trailer. She promises follow up posts, and I'm looking forward to them.

Diane Lockward has shown amazing industriousness and completed two book trailers (for the same book) for us to compare. If you go to her blog post, you can watch both and decide what you think. I commented over at her blog, so I won't say anything about my preferences here, so that I don't influence any virgin eyes.

In the coming week, I hope to return to the interesting process of making these hybrid creations. My spouse was home on Wednesday when I shot lots of photos, and he said, "What, exactly, are you going to do with these?"

I showed him Sandra Beasley's animated poems, Kelli's book trailer, and the wonderful animated version of Billy Collins' poem "Forgetfulness" (my spouse's favorite). He said, "You're making music videos!" Yes, in a way, we are. I think in the best poetry collections, all the poems hang together to make a larger whole, just as in a CD, the individual songs create something bigger. One animated poem can promote the book, as can a book trailer. How cool to have these resources that even the most untrained of us can master.

No comments: