Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Travels and Reading Recommendations

I just got back from Williamsburg, where we've been visiting my parents, in their new homeplace, and hanging out with them, my sister, my brother-in-law, and my nephew.  More on that later.  Suffice it to say, it POURED rain on Saturday, so we didn't do all the historic stuff.  There will be time for that in coming years.  It was a relaxing week-end, sitting around and remembering strategies for winning at Uno, my nephew's new favorite game.

We are back in the sunshine state to find that buckets of rain also fell here, and are still falling, and thus, I do not expect many trick-or-treaters.

We don't get many trick-or-treaters even when we have perfect weather, so I'm glad I only bought one bag of candy--and I'm glad that I bought candy that we like to eat.

If you're sitting at home, and you're in the mood for some theological reading on this Halloween, let me direct you to my post at the Living Lutheran site.  Never fear--it's not one of those preachy approaches, not a let's ban books and not have anything to do with witches and wizards angle.  No sir, not me.

Halloween is, after all, a holiday that comes to us partly because of its proximity to the Christian holidays of All Saints Day (Nov. 1) and All Souls Day (Nov. 2)--and my blog post tries to reconcile all these threads.

But maybe you're in the mood for something more wickedly fun, as you wait for trick-or-treaters.  I read part of Glen Duncan's I, Lucifer on the plane today.  What a treat!  Milton updated, along with sardonic treatments of modern life and pop culture.  I probably never would have picked up this book if I hadn't enjoyed his book, The Last Werewolf, so much--another appropriate Halloween pick.

So, however you're celebrating, whether it be a costume ball or waiting for trick-or-treaters or shoveling freak October snow off your pathways, I hope you have lots of treats and no tricks!

1 comment:

Karen J. Weyant said...

I read I, Lucifer based on a student recommendation, and enjoyed it very much! I didn't know he had another book -- will have to look it up.