Monday, September 8, 2014

Meditation Practices in a Busy Work Week

One of my colleagues told me that this accreditation process is aging me badly.  Or maybe she said it's in danger of aging me badly.  She recommended that I try meditation.  She said I should go to some place in my head that is a place of peace.  I knew just where to go:
 
 
 
At work, we are finishing all sorts of assessment and accreditation documents.  It's a process that leaves me stranded in front of my computer screen for long hours each day.  How I long to walk between the tall grasses that create the labyrinth.

 


 Last week at work, the stress of it all began to take its toll.  One of my colleagues burst out into a song from the disco era.  She said we'd know she'd gone over the edge when she chose a show tune.  I said, "You could sing in Gregorian Chant, and I could imagine I'm at a monastery where I get my best work done."

 


As a meditative, calming practice, I have tried to return to sacred places in my head.  I am not skilled at this practice.  Pictures help.

 
 

When we question the value of retreat, we should remember that their calming and centering effects can last long after our visit.

 


We say we can't afford the time to go on retreat.  How can we NOT afford it?

 

No comments: