Monday, February 29, 2016

Leap Year Again

My watch says it is March 1, but of course, it is not.  My computer knows the truth--it is February 29, the extra day we get every four years.

I feel the same way about leap day as I feel about the extra hour we get in the Fall if we live in places where we change the clocks.  I feel a mix of optimism and guilt.

Here's a whole extra day, not just an extra hour!  And I shall likely do what I do on any other day:  spend most of it at work.
But I'm happy to have a job; I'm happy that it's still mostly manageable.  I'm trying not to dread March, which has suddenly gotten to be a more packed month.

March will be filled with basic upkeep, like getting our cars serviced, as well as special upkeep--the on-demand hot water heater may be installed this month.  Month will be a month of travel, although we won't be travelling together, my spouse and I.  On Saturday, I have a training session at one of the colleges where I adjunct, and this week is the last week of class for one of my online classes, and at the end of the month, a different online class ends.  My father-in-law and stepmom-in-law arrive Saturday.

I don't have any special leap day traditions, no special foods, no music that I only listen to every 4 years, no traditions.  I feel like this day sneaks up on me every four years, which is ridiculous, because it's not like this day is unexpected.

So, let me enjoy this last day of February.  Let the good feelings of this past week-end and this past month linger.  Let this early morning pondering will help me infuse this day with a bit of wonder and gratitude for the time that we have, a sense of intention for the time we have left.

No comments: