Monday, February 20, 2017

Chicken Mole Poblano

A few weeks ago, I went shopping to get ready for the arrival of my college roommate.  I thought we'd make beef stroganoff, in case she didn't like my more daring recipe:  chicken mole poblano.

I first found this recipe in a Cook's Illustrated magazine; it was simplified, but I have simplified it further, as I've experimented.  I couldn't find the dried ancho chiles, so I used fresh poblano peppers.  I have made this recipe on the stovetop and also in the oven.  It's very flexible; you could leave out the raisins, for example.  The recipe would also work with green peppers, although it would have a different flavor--likewise, you might not be able to find canned chipotle peppers, so just add some chile powder.

Grind the following in a food processor in 2 batches:

4-8 poblano peppers, without cores and seeds
1-2 onions
1/2 c. raisins (if you have time, you could soak or stew them in chicken stock)
1-2 C. almonds
2 slices bread
1-2 chipotle peppers, canned in adobo sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1-2 C. chicken stock to help everything blend together
garlic cloves or garlic powder
4 T. sesame seeds

From the food processor, put everything in a large pot and bring to a boil as you add (I've wondered what would happen if you didn't bring it to a boil and simmer it for 1/2 an hour as the recipe says we should do):

4 T. cocoa powder
1-4 T. cinnamon
1 T thyme
1 T oregano
1/4 C. oil

Let the sauce simmer--or move on to the next step.  If your pot is big enough, add 6 pounds chicken.  I've used all kinds of chicken:  boneless skinless chicken breasts or various parts--they're all delicious.

But an easier method:  grease 2 pans, size 9 x 13.  Put the chicken pieces in the pans.   Pour the sauce over it.  Bake in a 350 oven for 50 minutes.

I've eaten this alone and with rice.  If I had good tortillas, they'd be tasty too.

I wonder how the sauce would be with other meat?  Hmmm.

No comments: