Monday, February 27, 2017

Staying on Task: A Variety of Them

When I look back at this week-end, what will I remember?

--We had several times on the front porch--it was lovely.

--At the same time, it's really warm for February--very strange.

--I did a lot of sketching and visual journaling over the week-end (see this post for more details).  Here's my favorite:



--One of my church friends floated the idea of doing something with charcoal sketching during Lent.  I usually sketch during the late service, and I think it intrigues people.  I worry that it might seem disrespectful, but it's a way for me to stay focused during the service.

--We got work done.  My spouse had more to do with his classes, but we both had plenty of tasks.  We also got work done around the house:  taking palm fronds off the roof, pruning the gumbo limbo trees. 

--I had a leftover can of pumpkin, and I did get it made into pumpkin bread before it started to grow mold.  Why does this feel like an accomplishment?  Regardless, it made the house smell wonderful.

--I got a lot of reading done.  After deciding that Margaret Atwood's latest work was not for me, I switched to Tracy Chevalier's At the Edge of the Orchard.  It was a treat--interesting plots, intriguing characters, a pioneer story--several of them, actually.

--I didn't write as much as I thought I might.  I woke up in a sloggy mood on Saturday.  And much of Sunday, I wasn't home.  But that's O.K. because I did more visual art than I would on a usual week-end.  In short, it was a good week-end, in terms of creativity.

--We finished the week-end at the parsonage with a Gospel ukulele meet-up.  As I sat in the parsonage, singing gospel songs, I thought, this is why people want house churches.  I sing better in that setting, surrounded by voices and instruments.  And it's impossible to drift off, the way it is when I'm one of 50 congregation members in a sanctuary designed for 300.

--Today is my sister's birthday.  In tribute, here's the ending of "Goblin Market," by Christina Rossetti:

“'For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands."”

--It's hard to believe how quickly February has zoomed right by.  Onward to March!

1 comment:

essay services reviews.com said...

I liked the blog you have written and shared with us and i agree there is a lot of theme in your work as far as the art work is concerned i think that would look great just by using Lil less colors you have overdone it but it looks amazing like a fire work