Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Random Wednesday Thoughts Post Internet Restoration

At some point, maybe tomorrow, I'll have both time and Internet connection to reflect back on Thanksgiving.  Today is not that day.  Let me record a few brief observations:

--I get a lot more done when the Internet is gone--the old-fashioned kind of work.  Yesterday I made serious progress on a short story that's been eluding me for a month.

--I was surprised by how many things I thought I wanted to look up, but couldn't, because of lack on Internet access.  I kept writing, and it didn't really matter.

--Interesting to realize how often my brain wants to distract me.

--Someone cut the line at the pole.  I was surprised to realize how relieved I was when I found out that the lack of Internet access wasn't my fault and that I couldn't have fixed it, no matter how I tried.  The Comcast tech took 2 hours to get us back online.

--Of course, I didn't completely disconnect.  Unlike my time at Thanksgiving, I did listen to NPR.

--My brain circles back to North Korea's missile test.  For the past 10 years, I've thought that I was worrying about the wrong apocalypse--I spent my youth looking for mushroom clouds, not rising seas or temperatures.  Now I'm worried about it all.

--Part of me isn't as worried as I would have been in my younger years.  I've lived a lot and gotten to do a lot.  If it all went up in flames or waves today, I wouldn't have many regrets except for not having a chance to have great experiences again.

No comments: