Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Christmas Treats

Will this be the year I bake no Christmas bread?  I have Christmas breads on the brain because tomorrow is the feast day of Santa Lucia, and by Dec. 13, I've usually baked several batches of cookies and multiple types of bread.

I say usually--but that hasn't been true for at least a decade and probably longer.  Between my shift from faculty work to administrative work (which requires more time in an office) and more Christmas travel and a desire not to gain 20 pounds every year--I don't do much holiday baking.

I have shifted my joy to other parts of the holidays.  I love the variety of lights I see this time of year.  My spouse tries to play every Christmas CD we have at least once, and that's a delight. 

The weather doesn't always cooperate, but last night, we had a fire in the fireplace.  I thought back to grad school, where one of my friends dated a man who had a fireplace in his office.  She talked about finishing her semester's papers in front of that fireplace.  That sounded like such an amazing treat--it still does.  We watched TV while we sat in front of the fireplace--that, too, was an amazing treat.

This morning I drank my V8 juice in one of my glass Christmas mugs.  It's not as wonderful a treat as coffee in that mug along with a piece of Santa Lucia bread, but this morning it will have to do.  I have a non-leisurely morning--I'm subbing for a colleague.  I only have to proctor a final exam, but it means I must be early.

Tonight I'll take a walk through the neighborhood and enjoy the Christmas lights.  And then it's back to grading--my online grades are due tomorrow.  That, too, is a treat of sorts.

No comments: