Thursday, February 28, 2019

The Kitchen Rebuild Has Begun!

Yesterday I came home to find some cabinets have been hung--hurrah!  I was expecting the contractor, but I thought that the drywall repair after the electric work would take up the whole day.

I've been sorting some home repair pictures to prepare for this post.  I was looking for a before picture.  Here's a blurry picture of the whole half of the house, with the kitchen in the back, after the wonderful flooring guy finished the floors and before we started moving things back:



I love the empty look of it all.  How sunny and bright.  I miss that.

We kept that space fairly free, knowing that the kitchen cabinets would come in boxes and we'd need a place to put them.  Indeed, they took up much of the living room and dining room:



Last night, we moved the stove back to where it will live now.  In his design of the kitchen, my spouse wanted to avoid the narrow galley of the original kitchen, so we're not filling in the space to the right of the stove.  The cabinets on the west wall will end where they do now:



The upper cabinets aren't as deep as some cabinets we've had.  They're much taller than most cabinets we've had.  I think we can make this work.



I'm in love with the color.  We took lots of care in choosing the color, even ordering samples of the stain on various types of wood.  But I know there's always a risk that the color will be very different from what I had in mind.  Happily, that's not the case.




I'll be interested to see how it turns out.  I suppose it's time to start contacting Corian manufacturers so that we'll be done sooner rather than later.


No comments: