Sunday, November 3, 2019

All Saints Sunday 2019

Today many churches will celebrate All Saints Sunday.  We will remember those who have gone before us, those whom we loved and those whom we never knew.



Will we find a different way to converse with our ancestors?





Some of us find this time of year suffused with a strange grieving for those who are here but in a different form from the way we once knew them.





Are we looking to commune with ghosts or to scare them away?




This time of year can be one of those thin spaces, where we sense what lies beyond.




I appreciate the liturgical calendar that runs beneath/beside the secular holidays.  I like having more to celebrate, more ways to remind myself that there's more to life than what occupies most of my time (work--both on the job and at my house).



I like having holidays that remind me that we're only here for too brief a time.



It helps me to treasure the fleeting moments that I have. It helps me to keep perspective.  All too soon, we too, will pass through these gates.




No comments: