Tuesday, February 4, 2020

When Your Cold Strikes Back

I had thought I had one of those lesser colds--a mildly annoying thing which makes me more aware of my various sinuses, but not really much of an impact.  I have had a cough that comes and goes.  Some days I've thought that the cold was on the run.

Last night as I drove home at 6:30, after observing a class, I noticed that I was shivering.  I took my temperature which was 99.6.  I thought I might have used the thermometer wrong.  I continued to shiver as I watched a bit of T.V.

I got into bed just before 8 p.m.  I was wearing flannel pajamas, and I was under lots of covers, but still I shivered.  I drifted off to sleep.

At 9:15, I woke up and knew I better get to the bathroom.  I can count on one hand the amount of times I've thrown up during this century (and perhaps during my whole adult life)--last night was one of those times.  At least I didn't make a mess.  I went back to bed.

My spouse came home from teaching, and I told him my cold had taken a turn for the worse.  And then I slept and slept.

I wanted to wake up to be completely recovered, but I have a pounding headache this morning, along with a back ache.  Still, at one point in the night, I was dizzy and had trouble holding my head up.  At least it's not going to be that kind of day (she says with hope in her voice).

I've taken aspirin and Mucinex for the cough.  I'll take a shower and head to work.  Despite a few tough moments through the night, I did sleep over 10 hours, so I don't feel as bad as I might.  If I took a sick day, I don't know that I'd need it to recover--so why waste it?

No comments: