Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Joys of Offline Journaling

I have been up since 1 a.m. when my eyes snapped open.  I got up and listened to the lecture that my Mepkin journaling group will discuss tonight.  After writing in my offline journal for a bit, I laid back down to try to sleep, but no luck.  

In a way I don't mind because I got a lot of writing done--1600 words in my offline journal.  Yesterday I wrote over 1300 words in that journal.  I tend to turn to that offline journal primarily to preserve e-mail chains and when I need to process stuff that I shouldn't process in an online setting, like work stuff or family stuff.

This week, I've been writing about work changes and the journey towards seminary.  In some ways, I could have written about it publicly, but that's often the case.  However, there's something exhilarating about writing stuff that very few people are likely to see--but then again, I'm always editing myself, by which I mean correcting grammar and spelling.  I tend to write fairly openly whether online or offline, but I also realize that I can do that because I'm older with a life that tends to boring instead of drama.

Yesterday I went back through my blogs to read the posts I had tagged with "discernment."  I am astonished at how long I've been thinking about seminary.  And in 2019, I did discover Wesley's Theology and the Arts program, but clearly it didn't move me then.  I am also amazed at how consistent I've been when I've been thinking about career shifts and the future.

This week at work has been so different than what I was visualizing:  it's been a week of announcements of other people's promotions, of the employee handbook for the new company that's buying my school, the stresses that come when a purchase may finally be about to happen.  It feels like we've already had a whole week of work, but it's only Wednesday.

No comments: