Friday, December 9, 2022

Church History Timeline Project

I have a variety of assignments due as the seminary semester comes to a close.  Some are expected, like having to preach a sermon for Foundations of Preaching or create a final creative project for my Religion and the Arts class.  I have a few papers due, standard grad school stuff for me.

One of the final projects for Church History class, the timeline project, has made me consider all of the course materials, all of the information, the whole term from first one angle, and then another.  It's a wonderful assignment, so I want to record it here, so I don't forget it:

a.   From readings, lectures, and class discussion, select a total of 10 items that you think are important to include, in each of the three categories: a) people, b) movements, and c) events.  These 30 (total) items should be divided evenly between 500-year periods: 10 from AD 50-500, 10 from AD 500-1000, and 10 from AD 1000-1500.  Place all 30 events on your timeline.
b.   Attach an annotated list of items organized in categories a), b), and c) above.  Next to each item, identify the item in 1-2 sentences and include its date(s).
c.   Select the 5 most important items on your timeline and write ½ to 1 page for each item, explaining its significance and relationship to the whole sweep of the church in history.
Note that there are three distinct parts to this assignment: (a) the graphical presentation; (b) the annotated list of 30 items; (c) the “Top 5” items you have chosen, with ½ to 1 page for each.

Back to me.  I made my first 30 choices, and then I set out to be sure I had chosen the "correct" 30, even though I know that there's not a correct list.  I could justify the 30 that I chose.  But of course, I could make 30 different choices and justify them.  And after that, I could make 30 new choices, complete with justifications.

Finally, I've decided to just go with the 30 choices that make the most sense to me.  Because of our Discussion posts, I know that my classmates will make different choices.  It's been good to read them and to have a glimpse into the reasons why people might be upset over this heresy or that conflict, even as I don't feel the same stir of emotion.

The whole project is due at 11:59 p.m. today, so let me get back to it.


No comments: