Monday, September 11, 2023

The Mists of This September 11

It is a misty morning here on the mountain.  I'm glad I'm not making any long drives today.  A misty morning seems appropriate for September 11, appropriate for this point in our pandemic lives.

--I have written about the events of September 11, 2001 several times before.  It's strange to me to think I've been blogging for both the 10th anniversary and the 20th.  If you were hoping for that kind of post, go here

--It is the 50th anniversary of the coup in Chile, which also happened on September 11.  NPR has a great piece on how these events shaped both Latin America and U.S. foreign and domestic policy through the next decades. The Washington Post has a great piece that is more pictures than text.

--Or you could watch the Costa-Gavras film Missing.  I revisited it this past summer as part of my Cinema and Social Justice class.  It holds up really well.

--It is day 2 of COVID symptoms for me.  It's still more like a mild cold than anything severe, but I am having times of chills (no fever) and a headache that is always on the edges of my skull, even with aspirin.

--It is strange how I feel oddly guilty about needing to shift classes to an online modality and needing to have someone else lead church.  My church contract specifies 3 paid vacation days, and my in person school would rather we stay home when we're sick rather than infecting everyone.

--I will still be able to attend my seminary classes--they are all online.  Yesterday I did the work that is due today, just in case I woke up this morning more incapacitated.

--I also have a hideous sore on my lip.  Is it a cold sore or sunburn from being so far north in Maine?  I didn't use any lip protection the way I once did; I've gotten out of the habit, just like I had gotten out of the habit of masking. 

--It's clear that it's time to get back in the habit of masking.

No comments: