Wednesday, September 6, 2023

A Trip to Maine in Pictures

In many ways, this picture sums up my impression of Maine in late summer, sailboats and trees and the bay visible from every bend of the road.   


Some of the houses were huge:


 Occasionally we came across the ruins of some older building:


The sunflowers grew as tall as people.  Lots of yards had edges of tall flowering plants that I suspect many of us might call weeds (you call the flowering plant goldenrod, I call it the ragweed that aggravates our allergies).



The shops looked quaint, and I have no idea how anyone makes money unless they're selling us something to eat.  It seems like expensive real estate.



We stayed at an inn that might have been called a motor lodge, in a different time and place.  It was comfortable.


On Saturday, we started the festivities with a gathering in a state park.  


We hiked down to the shoreline trail.  



I decided not to take the rocky steps down to the actual shore.




The wedding was at a beautiful place, the 1812 Farm in Bristol, Maine.  




The ceremony took place under trees that stretched overhead, a different sort of chuppah.


The dinner was under a tent, another sort of festive, temporary home.





I loved the long, sloping lawn, with a camper off to the side where the bar was set up.  Every picture I took of the camper bar came out blurry.  Hmm.



We posed for photos in chairs made out of lobster traps.  Honestly, I didn't realize they were lobster traps until friends from Germany told me.


It was a beautiful week-end.  I felt lucky to be part of it.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful areas and wedding!