I began the week-end by driving down to Columbia, SC to meet up with my parents so we could go to the James R. Crumley Archive banquet together. In past years, I had seen people post pictures of the banquet, and I always thought it sounded interesting, the kind of event I would be sure to attend if I lived nearby.
I've lived nearby for several years, but this was the first year I could go. Past years had seminary classes, minister commitments, and of course, Hurricane Helene disruptions. As I got ready to go, I realized that I wasn't really sure what to expect. I wondered if there would be people I would know. I was happily surprised to have such a good time, which I wrote about in this blog post.
I knew that the week-end would have good family moments, and it did. It was great to be with my parents. We are all old enough that I feel the passage of time keenly, that each good time together might be the good last time together.
My maternal grandfather's family farm is in Lexington, SC, the county next to Columbia; a lot of relatives still live on the family farm and surrounding farms, although they no longer farm the way they once did. On Saturday morning, we joined a group of them at Lizard's Thicket, a local restaurant, for late breakfast. What a treat! It was great to catch up with beloved second cousins, and great to meet folks who are newer to the area. And I had an amazing breakfast with some of the best restaurant biscuits I've ever had.
We've talked about future reunions, and I hope that we can do it. One of the unexpected sorrows of moving back to the Carolinas is that I don't get together with friends and family as often as I would like. We're still somewhat spread out, and my work schedule makes it complicated in a way that it wouldn't be complicated if I was retired.
Yesterday we got back from church and settled in for our post-church sermon watching. We made pizza. I thought we were in for the night when my cousin called.
It was a happy phone call. He was passing through town after being in Utah at a conference, waiting for his family who was picking him up on their way to the beach. I offered to come get him, and he said yes. We were able to offer him pizza; I would have made a different meal if I had known he was coming, but he was happy. We had a few hours to catch up, and he had time to take a walk around Lutheridge, which he was craving after a morning and afternoon traveling by plane.
I feel very lucky to be at this point in my life. Many people don't make it this far, to their 60's. And many people don't have as many loved ones, friends and family both, alive when they are in their 60's. While I wish I had even more time with them, I'm grateful for the time we do have.
No comments:
Post a Comment