Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Happy Bastille Day! and Happy Birthdays!

Today is my birthday. I was born on an Air Force base in France, where July 14 is Bastille Day. My mom always told me that when I was born they had parades and fireworks and people took the day off to have a picnic; it was years before I realized that these celebrations had nothing to do with me. I've always found it thrilling to be born on Bastille Day, and later, as I discovered the influence of the French Revolution on some of my favorite British authors, I've been even more happy to have been born on Bastille Day. Even my knowledge of how the French Revolution turned out (boo Napoleon!) doesn't dull my appreciation of the event. I see it as one of the important world events that paved the way for the world of freedoms that so many of us in the first world enjoy.




It's also the birthday of former president Gerald Ford, which impressed my elementary school classmates (sharing a birthday with the president!) more than it impresses anyone now. Now I'm most happy about sharing my birthday with so many great artists. Woody Guthrie was born on this day, as was Irving Stone. It's also the birthday of Isaac Bashevis Singer--not bad to share one's birthday in such company!


3 comments:

Chum said...

Happy Birthday, Kris. Hope you have a great day. I have been thinking about you (and Bastille Day). Miss you.

Kristin Berkey-Abbott said...

Thanks for popping by. I miss you too. What I wouldn't give for a nice long drive, up and down Kingston Pike, in a gas guzzling car--ah, the olden days!

Shefali Shah Choksi said...

Singer and Stone? i love those! no wonder i enjoy your writing so much: you share your stars with some spectacular story-tellers!