Thursday, October 15, 2009

Record Breaking Heat and Discombobulation

Strange to think that this time yesterday, I was in South Carolina after a visit to my grandmother in Greenwood, and the day before that, in the mountains of North Carolina. It's always a bit disconcerting to me to cover such distances, either by plane or by car, in such short time. It takes me awhile to feel like I've collected myself.

Today it's more difficult. We return to record breaking heat (AGAIN!!! but global warming is a myth, of course--people who make that claim must live in cooler climes). Our AC, which was patched together to get us to tomorrow, when the new AC will be installed, is not working. It was 80 degrees outside at 5:30 a.m. this morning. Sigh.

Some day, when the house is cooler, I'll write more about my trip and our encounter with Stetson Kennedy (you don't know Stetson Kennedy? He was instrumental in unmasking the Klan in Florida and a friend of Woody Guthrie). Maybe I'll post a photo essay. Maybe we'll discover that we've gotten great photos of the mountains, but I'll save those for later.

Today, it's back to work, my longest work day of the week. At least I'll have air conditioning, as I try to adjust to being back from the mountaintop.

1 comment:

Elizabella said...

I guess you probably don't want to hear that I'll be taking all of my shawls to be dry cleaned tomorrow. It's chilly, chilly here in Columbia today!