Wednesday, March 2, 2011

In Which My Font of Useless Information Pays Off

I will be the first to admit that my brain stores a lot of trivia--yes, I was the person you wanted on your team for Trivial Pursuit, me and someone who could answer the sports questions. Usually my knowledge elicits a quirked eyebrow, or a comment along the lines of "How do you remember these things?"

To which I always reply, "I'm just a font of useless information."

Sometimes I vary my response and say, "I'm just a font of worthless information."

But today, my magpie brain paid off. My spin instructor put together a ride playlist of songs from 80's movies. To sweeten the deal, she gave out stars to people who could name the song and/or the movie it came from. No star for artist's name, more's the pity.

I won!!! I got 10 stars.

Maybe I should be embarrassed. Maybe it shows that I'm pathetic.

Maybe you would ask, "So, you can name song titles, artists, movies, and probably whole plotlines of these movies, yet you still cannot tell me the plot of Bleak House?"

Sadly, that statement would be true.

Others of you might be asking, "What did you win?"

A copy of the CD of course.

As I pedalled, I thought about those 80's movies, about characters with whom I identified then, and the characters that speak to me today. More on that in a later post--it gives you time to go watch Footloose again. Or Fame. Or The Breakfast Club (choose your favorite John Hughes film: Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off).

As for me, I'm going to watch Purple Rain--I haven't ever seen it before.

Ah, Prince. Ah, the joys of androgyny. That subject, too, is a post for another day. My work day of many meetings must begin.

No comments: