Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Insights from a Day of Many Meetings

Yesterday was a day of many meetings.  The take-away messages for me are perhaps not what was intended by the speakers--they may have thought different messages would be more important.  Ah well--that is the risk with public speaking.

Our interim president said that she learned at an early age not to spend much time and mental energy worrying about things she had no control over.  I thought about my own life.  I'd be very happy to let go of the things I cannot control.  I wish I could figure out earlier in the process that I have no control.

Of course, the older I get, the more I realize that most things are outside of my control.  But still, I suspect that it takes me more time to get to that conclusion than most people.

Our interim president also talked about the kinds of students who are most successful.  They're the ones who understand what will distract them on their way towards success.  They're the ones who have figured out what to do with the distractions.

I immediately thought about my writing life.  I used to feel successful, but I've been feeling a bit off track lately.  What are my distractions?

Well, part of that is work.  I was more successful in my writing life when I had more time to devote to it.  Of course, then I had less money.

And part of it is the distractions that so many of us face:  the Internet, with all its attractions.  It's startling how much time I can waste by noodling around on Facebook, reading blogs, rambling around websites.

I know what I should do.  At least several days a week, I should work on my writing before I do any Internet wandering. 

And starting tomorrow, that is my plan.

No comments: