Friday, January 12, 2018

Windows on Work

It has seemed like an extraordinarily long week, which is not a surprise.  Between Thanksgiving and the first week of January, I didn't work a full week, although some of those weeks didn't include full days off.  Still, December just had a different feel.

It's been a good week, however.  All of our new students have reported for class--hurrah.  We've had a strong Winter 2018 quarter start.

As I look back, I realize that three weeks ago we'd be getting ready to head to the Miami airport for our trip to San Diego.  I've never seen that airport so busy.  I've never seen security lines that long in any airport ever--and we were there by 7:15 in the morning.

Here is one of my favorite pictures from the trip. 



My dad, sister, and I are waiting for my nephew who is in a shop that sells the widest variety of root beer I've ever seen.  We had just come from a great Mexican meal, where I shared a margarita with my mom, something we never do:



I think of the office building that we could see from our hotel window.  We knew it would be vacant during the holiday week-end, yet every light was on. 




I wonder what it looks like with everyone returned to work.  I wonder if they look out their windows and wonder about the people who are at the hotel on vacation.

My office window has a generous view of the sky, so it's fine with me that we're not in some glamorous location.  And on weeks like these, where I need to be at work for long hours to make sure that all goes smoothly during week 1, I'm grateful for the view from my window.

No comments: