Saturday, February 24, 2018

What's Making Me Happy at Week's End

This morning, I made this Facebook post:  "I am drinking my coffee black this morning; those of you who know me may remember that I usually have a bit of coffee with my sweetened milk that has cocoa powder in it. I wish I could say that I'm saving a lot of calories with my black coffee this morning, but since I'm eating a donut from yesterday's meeting, I'm probably consuming more calories than usual. It's from Dandee Donuts, so it's worth the calories."

Yes, it's been another week of meetings and e-mails, a mix of hectic pace and more relaxed time.  The meetings went well--hurrah!  We had a Readiness Series presentation on Time Management, an all-school meeting (but without students), a Davie-Cooper City Chamber of Commerce Education Committee meeting, and a meeting with the principal of a charter school--no wonder I was tired by yesterday.

Let me make a list of what's making me happy at the end of the week:

--My spouse's sister is in town.  Last night, we walked to the beach and had a seafood pizza at the organic brewery--delicious pizza, delicious beer, and a beautiful view.

--We walked down to the bandshell, where a band played all sorts of music.  I loved seeing the toddler in a tutu twirling to "American Girl."  But what was even better was the older woman in a wheelchair rocking out to "I Want You to Want Me."

--This morning, after I made the Facebook post, I went to the WalMart Neighborhood Market, where I got all sorts of good deals.  The best deal:  canned pumpkin on clearance for 75 cents a can.  I thought there was a pumpkin shortage, so I was surprised to see that the store had so much pumpkin left.  Autumn must be completely behind us if we're trying to get rid of the pumpkin.  I bought 6 cans and would have bought more if I had storage space.

--Today we will go to see Wicked.  I read the book long ago and loved the concept, but I've never seen the play.  In fact, I'm still a bit amazed that I spent so much on these tickets.  Sigh.  I worry that the full-throated singing will bug me.  I'm hoping that I have this dread because I've just seen so many bad interpretations of "Popular."

--Tomorrow will be a family afternoon after church:  my spouse's sister, her grown up daughter, my spouse's brother, his wife, and perhaps their children.  I've bought the food, and that makes me happy.  I am taking various paths of least resistance:  a variety of grilled meat plus grilled cabbage, roasted potato chunks (the family prefers mashed potatoes, but I'm not making mashed potatoes for so many people), and ice cream for dessert.

No comments: