Monday, June 10, 2019

Monday Fragments

Let me capture some thoughts about this particular moment in June before they disappear:

--I spent part of Synod Assembly trying to find time to reconnect with my campus pastor from undergraduate school.  He's gone on to work for Novus Way, which runs the four church camps that I love most.  We never found time at Synod Assembly, but he was in town yesterday, so he came over for a quick coffee with my spouse and me.  What a wonderful talk!  It is amazing to sit with someone who has known us both for all of our adult lives.  He was also my grandmother's pastor, after he left campus ministry and before this job.  He was an amazing parish pastor.

--One of the interesting facts I picked up from Synod Assembly and that my campus pastor also noted:  we have a shortage of people coming out of seminary.  There are more jobs than there are pastors to fill them--and not just in places like North Dakota.

--My spouse and I spent a delightful afternoon on the porch yesterday, after our coffee with our campus pastor, watching the thunderstorms roll through.  We dreamed of the types of retreats we might create. 

--I have been fighting off a cold for weeks now.  I have a lot of congestion, but it's all in my throat.  I've never had a crud quite like this, but I'm not the only one who's dealing with it.  I wonder if this kind of cold is making the rounds in other areas.

--Yesterday, I got to church early to decorate for Pentecost.  I used the banners and glass blocks we made last year, which made me happy to see them:


I draped the big cactus underneath the cross in red and orange netting--did it resemble flames?

This picture shows some dangling ribbons:



What you can't see is the fan beneath them.  I was trying to make people think of the Holy Spirit as rushing wind, but it was more like a gentle breeze.  Still, I liked watching them move and weave themselves in and out--that, too, seemed like a good metaphor to me.

--And now, back to regular life.  Time to make the bread/baked goods run for my school.

No comments: