Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Singing the Songs of Our Youth

I went to a WELCA retreat this week-end, which meant a long car ride. We listened to all sorts of music, including lots of folk music. I mentioned "Pack Up Your Sorrows," my favorite Peter, Paul, and Mary song and asked if they had heard the album Bleeker Street, which contains a version of the song by Loudon Wainright III and Iris DeMent. 

No one had, but thanks to the magic of Apple Music, we could stream the whole album. All that music made me think of the soundtrack of my childhood, those albums in the original that were often playing on my dad's stereo--and it reminded me of the folk music show that played on an NPR station on Sundays in North Virginia, which I listened to, with my dad, during summers when I was home from college.  When did I first discover the album Bleeker Street?  Either my dad recommended it to me or I recommended it to him. 

And on my way to work, I listened to the CD in my car (I do not have a streaming service of any kind, but I am wealthy in CDs), and I'm falling in love with this music again.  Yesterday I went online to find the original Peter, Paul, and Mary version.  What beautiful harmony that group had!

I also discovered a version by Johnny Cash and June Carter--ahh, the magic of YouTube algorithms.  In some ways, I'm surprised that there aren't more people who have covered this song.  It's fairly simple to sing, and there's lots of potential for harmonies, if a duo/group is so inclined.

Let me also remember another of the week-end's joys:  singing together.  In the car, on the way up, we heard a live version of Joan Baez singing "Amazing Grace" and encouraging her audience to sing along.  We were 4 Lutheran women in a car--of course we sang along.  Beautiful!

On Saturday morning, I went to devotions, which consisted of 2 songs and 2 prayers.  Afterward, the woman sitting beside me said, "So, are you singing in the choir for worship tonight?"

I said, "I don't think of myself as someone who can sing."

The woman said, "I would disagree."

It was an interesting disconnect.  I think of myself as someone who has a serviceable voice, but a voice I can't be sure will find the right notes.  Maybe I should begin to tell myself a different story about my voice.

No comments: